Saturday, October 15, 2016

Find your calling

This week, during my Entrepreneur class, the subject of Mastery was a bit of a focus. I think many of us have heard the idea that it takes 10,000 hours of practicing something before you can become a master at it. When I originally heard that number, I thought, "Holy cow! That's a lot of time! That would take forever!" But, as I've discovered my favorite activities in my adult life, I've realized that when you love to do something, love it so much that you don't even notice how much time you spend doing it, it's not about the time, it's about doing what you love, and enjoying the time you get to spend doing it. I'm sure some people might look at how much time I spend sewing and think, "I could never spend that much time at a sewing machine!" But for me, I find my flow, forget how much time is passing, and get into the groove of creating something beautiful from unrelated bits and pieces.  I'm looking forward to learning more about mastery, and how to become better at following through with goals I've set.

Another focus from this week was an address titled, "A Hero's Journey." What stood out to me from the talk were three questions that Jeff Sandefer said that most people ask themselves at the end of their lives:
Have I contributed something meaningful?
Am I a good person?
Who did I love and who loved me?

Those are definitely important questions, and I think they reveal the most important things about life. As I make new goals, I will keep these questions in mind.
The great advice that Sandefer gave was about finding a calling that fits your special gifts. He said, "You'll find that your gift is something you assumed was easy, because it is easy for you." Asking people who know you well what you do better than anyone will help to reveal your gifts and aid you as you search for your calling. I know that the things I love doing the most are things that I find easy that others might not. And I've been able to find a calling that utilizes those gifts, giving me the opportunity to earn money doing what I love most!

No comments:

Post a Comment