Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Formula for Happiness

This week, as part of my study, I read chapters 4-6 of the book The Ministry of Business by Steven A. Hitz and James W. Ritchie. In those chapters, they present the formula that they follow to achieve happiness in their own lives. The steps are as follows:

1. Get up early
2. Work hard
3. Get your education
4. Find your oil
5. Make your mark
6. Get prepared to be of service

I certainly have room to improve on many of the items on this list. Surprisingly, I've actually been doing pretty well with getting up early. It's amazing what having a child in all-day school can do for motivating me to get up on time in the morning. I'm obviously working on getting my education, in the formal sense of the word. But I love learning, and when I come across a topic which I find interesting, I will do my best to learn all I can, checking out library books, searching on the internet, and discussing the topic with friends and family. I feel like this is a great way to get an education on things that aren't necessarily taught in school.
The other items are ones at which I have worked for many years. Finding oil means finding a product or service which you can offer the world, and for which people will be willing to pay. I think I stumbled onto my oil when I began my Etsy shop and began getting custom orders for the party decorations for which my shop is popular.
I do believe that the items on this list, while helping to ensure a happy life, can also be a great guide for entrepreneurs as they try to create their dream job. I hope to be able to keep this list in mind as I expand my entrepreneurial knowledge and advance my own dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment