Friday, October 7, 2016

The Business of Motherhood

This week, as I've studied the articles, books, and videos, the thought that keeps coming back to me is, "It's up to me. I decide how I spend my time. The choices I make today affect my future." Choosing each day to accomplish tasks that put me on track to reach the goals I've made and to become the person I want to be is completely up to me. Some of the topics for the week touched on doing what you love, making effective choices, the little things are important, and how we measure our lives. As I read all of these things, I kept thinking about my own purpose and the most important things that I should be doing with my life. While I do have my own small business, which brings me great pleasure, I believe that my most important "job" at this point in my life is to be the best wife and mother that I can. In the article How Will You Measure Your Life by Clayton Christensen, he says, "Don’t worry about the level of individual prominence you have achieved; worry about the individuals you have helped become better people." I believe that this applies so beautifully to motherhood. I'm not sure how much prominence is really available to the average mother, but if I measured my success based on how well-known I am, I would have to measure myself as a pretty poor mother. But, if success as a mother is based on how many individuals I have helped become better people, I would look at my achievements far more positively. Teaching my children to live righteously, to treat everyone with kindness, and to serve others and love God, will have a much farther reaching effect than almost any other action I could take. My business is raising children, and I will do the very best that I can, with the help of my husband and my Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment